Course Evaluations and Appraisals

 This course gave an overview of aspects involved in running a sustainable creative practice. Seminars covered a range of relevant topics – from Personal Branding to Tax - which gave me an insight into the concrete steps required to establish a career. I learned many key business terms which I had never been exposed to before (i.e. Unique Selling Point and "Always be Closing") which I will carry forward when considering how I market myself.  As a sculptor, I work in a specific field which does not follow conventional procedures for generating work. However, this course gave me practical methods to capitalise on my talent including quoting and charging for work, which type of employment contract works best for specific projects, tapping into the hidden job market, and finding my niche.

The emphasis on planning our vision, and  how our personal values flow into our creative work was a key takeaway for me. This course instilled a sense of possibility that establishing my own career is completely achievable.  

- Participant (sculptor) from 2019

"I wanted to attend the course to find a better way to present my credentials to prospective creative employers as my CV/Resume was a boring laundry list that rarely got me an interview. I knew that when I DID get that interview, I would do well and get the job. But getting to that point was arduous.

This course not only showed me options to re-package my credentials, but also to re-focus and re-present them in a totally new way. I have since ditched my paper resume in favour of an on-line friendly format that instantly allows links to my work on lline. I also have the ability to prepare a website or blog to allow potential free-lance employers to see my bio, see my talents, and click on exactly what they want to hear/see. (Work in progress!)

My business cards were exactly what the course said they should be and looked great, but there was no 'next step' for them to pursue my work. There is now on my LinkedIn page updated with all my links, and soon will be on my web-version of my resume, allowing a 2-in-1 promotional statement with backing show reel.

This is EXACTLY what I needed!"
 
- Participant (Santa persona) from 2019
 

Hi Paula thank you so much for all your effort during the course I found it fantastic. It was really informative thorough and such such a welcome space for learning. 


In particular I enjoyed the module on self employment, it was a real eye-opener into the challenges / extra tasks to take into account one would face when going out on their own. With this in mind I have to rethink if that is what I want to do 🤨… Or whether it’s actually a lot less hassle to just work for an established organisation (that has an accountant, Kiwisaver sorted already  etc). 


The other module I found of great use was the interview coaching techniques that really allowed me to gain a better understanding of what employers may or may not be looking for - some pro tips! 


Last but not least my next favourite was employment law… A lot of information is food for thought, and great for all of us to be more aware of. 


Some exciting news for me, I have been asked back for a 2nd interview for the Lord of the rings filming production … I am hoping to get a production assistant role on this picture and working with Tina from Work and Income so fingers Crossed.


Once again thank you so much for all your time and effort it really has been a pleasure. All the best with the rest of the course.
 
-  Participant (freelancer) from 2019